Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Day 3 Moto Jacket Sew-a-Long - A PDF by Jennuine Design

So here we are at Day 3, more than half way done! I can't believe how mine is coming together, I can't wait to see what everyone else has done with this pattern! Be sure to share you creations in the Jennuine Design Pattern Group on facebook!



I'm just going to share with you a couple of tricks I learned from my aunt who used to sew haute couture. The first trick, when the fabric permits, use interfacing on the wrong side of the main fabric for the welt opening. This prevents those corners from fraying and keeps them really crisp. I'm using denim for my jacket but for those using vinyl, or fake leather I wouldn't recommend putting those fabrics under the iron.

Be sure to mark your welt openings on the wrong side of your fabric so that you don't stain the right side of your fabric if ever your fabric pen doesn't wash away.



The next tip is about top stitching. Today after putting in the pockets we'll be starting some assembly. If you are making your jacket with a back center seam its nice to have a top stitch to show off that work. If you noticed the right side is a little bolder than the left side top stitch. I didn't pass over my stitching twice, I simply threaded my machine with two treads at the top and used bobbin thread as a single thread as I normally do. You can get thicker denim thread at the store but not a wide variety of colors are available but this method allows you to have a bigger range in color that will match perfectly to what you're stitching.



Today was not a long day of sewing...but I do recommend you take your time making sure your welted pockets are perfectly positioned, even in height and of equal distance from the side seam. You should have also put in the zipper and done all the assembly up until the sleeves.
For tomorrow, we'll be assembling the sleeves, putting the collar and assembling the lining.

Until next time, xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment